Monday, June 20, 2011

Wait wait wait why is the Whale in the Sky Again?

These are the sorts of questions I like my players to be asking while playing rpgs with me. I am looking foward to getting started with Mutants and Masterminds. The first game session was a blast and the second game session will be learning more of the ins and outs of combat and stuff. Then we will be getting rolling shortly. I've written three diffrent macro plots for the players to be engaged with and I keep coming up with new things which will get all mashed into the main story somehow somewhere. That is the nice thing about running a super heroes game in a light hearted setting, it doesn't matter that there is a whale in a sky that is being used as a weapon. What matters is getting the whale back into the ocean cause they are endangered.

In other news I've been gearing up for starting my summer project which will be the reading and essay writing about of Atlas Shrugged. What I want to do is to write one essay ranging from 5 to 10 pages in length for every hundred pages, I also want to write one essay before I start and one essay when I finish. So right now I am gearing up for the essay I am going to write before I start the book. In the back there is an apendix and it has a handy dandy primer on Objectivsm, there is also the worst intro I've ever seen to a book in the history of ever. The goal of the project is to come at Atlas with a fresh set of eyes. I've heard so much about this book, about Rand, her life, her writings, her ideas that it is difficult to seperate her from the hyperbol. Either people are obsessed with her, or they hate her with the fire of a thousand suns. There is very little in between which is something I find odd. It isn't going to be easy though. Just from reading the two page summery of objectivism I realized that I already hate it. However, as I rolled it around in my head all day today I realized that I hated the summary more than the ideas, from ineffective examples to fawning over Rand I've never seen such a badly written summery of ideas in my life and this is in the nice 50th Anniversary Edition of the book not some cheap junk copy from the 70s or something like that.

I think I've settled on a thesis for the first essay which will examine the myth of personality that surrounds Rand and thus taints the interpretation of her writting. I got some nice solid pieces of evidence in the intro and the summery of objectivism and it will give me a reason to reread Death of an Author which is something I've been meaning to do forever.

I hope to have this done by Wednesday but we'll see it depends on how I feel. I am getting sick but I am doing it SLOWLY and I might fight the whole thing off before it really gets ahold of me. We shall see. I hope so. Alright looks like it is just about time for me to go back to work *cries*

No comments: