Monday, October 22, 2012

Getting READY for National Novel Writing Month

YAY!  National Novel Writing Month is one of those things I look forwards to with a mixture of dread and anticipation.  For the last 4 years it has been a part of my life one way or another and it has produced two 50,000 fiction chunks that are better known as novels out of me.  The first year I didn't find out about it until the 10th or so and I just couldn't catch up.  What can I say, I write slooooowly.  The other year I failed I lost everything in a power surge that took out my backup and the original copy.  Freak accident what can you do?  So this will be my 4th official year and hopefully I will produce a 3rd novel.  The current plan is to write a sequle/continuation of the first one.  The first one ends with the suicide of the main character.  So it goes.  However life goes on for everyone else so that's what the novel is about life going on.  Also one of my favorite plot points is having your past come up and haunt you.  I won't be doing that this time.  Instead it will be a whole host of new problems for the remaining characters to deal with.  I can't really decide how it will end but I know that I'll figure it out on the fly like I always do.  WOOP!

I love national novel writing month.  I think it is an amazing concept.  To write something for the sheer joy and exhileration of writing and no other reason.  To throw aside concerns of quality and just write something at all costs is amazing to me and so I participate with vigor.  The thing is that I am particularly bad at it.  As I said earlier I write slowly.  I also don't really have anywhere to write.  My house is not a good place for me to get things done.  I've longed to change this about my house but I am not sure how to make it happen.  I've tried a number of things but none of them seem to work the way I want them to and that doesn't upset me per say but it does.  The baby laptop was a lunge in the right direction but now I need to figure out a way to write at home.  As much as I hate to say it I think I need external motivation.  Like someone to say, "Knock off the stuff and do this other thing you need to".

I mean during NaNoWriMo it keeps me motivated and I dunno I am just able to do it.  Also I tend to make a really big deal about it here and on facebook because never underestimate the power of embarrassment.  I know I can do it.  I have done it and I'll continue to do so.  It is just that I can't seem to translate this accomplishment into other ones.  I'll get it though because I am not giving up either.  So there.

This year for reasons I am not sure of I am going to try to clean up and organize my house.  Last night I made some pretty epic strides in doing this and I think that will continue tonight.  Disorganization is the heart of relaxation.  Organization is the heart of productivity.  Somehow I need to find the balance between the two in my living space.  It should work...and if not well then at least it will be cleaner. 

No comments: