Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Lunch times is good time

I got to go on lunch early and now I am just sort of hanging out. I was planning on making some Eclipse Phase characters but I decided I wanted to spend my 40 minutes doing something else. That and I know that my first EC character is going to take quite awhile. The plan for this month is to make anywhere from 15 to 20 characters, fully stated, and then to write background information, habitation, notes, and plot hooks all involving them. That way should I ever play the game I'll have a nice little resource of people to draw from and use. I find this more useful than writing actual game sessions out as I can build something quickly, like say on the fly, out of a jumble of characters and situations rather than having a whole session planned out and hoping that my players comply. Cause they don't. This isn't even when they misbehave but like when Brian made best friends with the campaigns arch villian. I didn't expect that. I expected Andrew to back hand that kid and he was about to until Brian stopped him. Excellent roleplaying all around from everyone and we moved on.

So I think that is what I am going to focus on. I think I am gonna start going in cycles too. Some for Eclipse Phase, some for Mutants and Masterminds, some for SLA, definitely shadowrun and I'll intermingle it all with essay and fiction writing just to keep myself well rounded. Like I said I did alright for December, especially loosing a week a like I did but now it is time to do even better. Also there isn't really any better way to learn the ins and outs of a game system than to make characters that explore all its nooks and crannies. I think once I really start doing this I'll be better versed in my games of choice and of course I'll be able to better focus on the stories and stuff. Gaming systems don't really come naturally to me. I don't know why but they never really did. I can keep in my head the rules for dozens of board games but then with roleplaying games it all starts to go out the window. And it isn't like d20 or Shadowrun is any less complicated than Arkham Horror. I guess it is partly because the idea of telling a story and coming up with dice modifiers are things that don't share the same spot in my head.

The other thing is that when I play board games and what not I like to keep my opponents reacting to me. If I can keep them reacting then they aren't acting and I am free to do whatever. I generally found that as soon as I start reacting I start to loose. Gming isn't like that. Setting aside the lack of win/loose condition, Gming is all about reaction unless you are running a dungeon or something else I rarely do. Though that sort of situation does seem to crop up in Mutants and Masterminds. But that game works out to being fun enough where you don't have to worry about that over much.

Anyway, 15 characters and stuff if I do one character a day that's me writing for about half the month which I don't think is an unreasonable schedual. The problem is publication of course. How and where am I gonna do it cause I don't wanna keep all this stuff to myself. Though that problem is for another day cause for now I need to go back to work or something like that.

No comments: