Friday, April 13, 2012

Lunch Time is the Right Time

I've been tired recently. That is the only way to put it. It seems like no matter what some rediculous thing will end up happening causing my sleep cycle to be interupted. Then I got depressed recently. It lasted for about a week and a half and it was throughly miserable. Its over now though I still feel a bit rickity. Rickity is a really fun word. I think it is increadibly creepy. Now that the fog has lifted I am not sure what I want to do with my time now that it is my own again. I've been doing some serious thinking about Advanced Squad Leader and trying to find a way to where we can play it more fully without having to devote our lives to it. I am thinking a series of cheat sheets printed up on 3x5 index cards. I can get enough information on the cards so that they will be useful but not so much that it will become rediculous. Best of all we could have little "decks" of information that are easy to reffrence and which will contain links to the relevent rule book sections.

I am thinking things like certain terrain rules, certain charts, how to do that funky boarder movement, expanded CC charts, special rules for ordinance and vehicles, and stuff like that. Stuff so that we will have as little to remember as possible so that we can focus more on the game. I also want to make special senario card that we can keep in front of us that will have fillible information such as ELR, country special rules, and any I dunno hidden information that normally gets written down.

I think the best way to do it is to pick a really complex senario with LOTS of elements and then gather together everything I need to know to play it and figure out the best way to organize the cards. For example rules for snipers take about 1/2 a card. So what would I put on the other half? What would I put on the back. Fire is another example but a little bit easier because I can bundle in the rules for smoke, and fire spreading and stuff like that. Reduncancies aren't a bad thing as I think it will cut down looking for information. Like I definitly want to have a card that lists everything a generic MMC/SMC can do and how to do it. That's everything from movement to fire lanes, to smoke granades.

I think once this is done the transistion between starter kit ASL and ASL proper is going to be much smoother and it will be nice because we will have a set of clear, informative play aids instead of devoting our lives to memorizing rule books. This will be especially important for terrain, I know I will want at least one card for buildings, and another for elevation, then one for each of the specialized terrains.

This needs to be done otherwise we are going to have a very difficult time enjoying the game as it is meant to be played. Anyway lunch time is ova.

No comments: